You're viewing an archived page from a previous Festival of Ideas. See this year's festival »
Which cities work and which don’t? Why? How can we ensure good growth through design? Our special Focus Day, supported by the University of York through the Higher Education Innovation Fund (HEIF) and by York Science Park, explores the possibilities for ‘re-imagining the city’. Join us as our expert speakers discuss how architecture, technology and transport underpin urban living and how they impact on the environment, our lives, health and happiness.
Work at the University of York is focused around seven research themes which align our academic strengths to best meet the grand scientific, social and environmental challenges of our time. Learn more about the Environmental sustainability and resilience and Health and wellbeing research themes.
My York Central is interested in hearing your views on the future of York Central, York’s largest brownfield development site. Take part in the My York Central Conversation and share your thoughts, explore ideas and help create a new part of York.
12 noon - 6.00pm
Postgraduate students from the Kent School of Architecture, Canterbury present innovative visions for the city of York. Join them for a thought-provoking exhibition - ‘Design for Galactic Life on Earth: How can architectural intervention be used to instigate change?’
2.30pm - 4.00pm
How do we create successful communities? Our speakers include housing policy expert Rebecca Tunstall of the University of York, David Rudlin of URBED and leading architects Riccardo Marini, Founder of Marini Urbanismo, Irena Bauman, Director of Bauman Lyons, and Clare Wright, Founding Partner at Wright & Wright Architects. The session is chaired by Sir Malcolm Grant, Chancellor of the University of York.
- Irena Bauman, Bauman Lyons Architects
- Riccardo Marini, Marini Urbanismo
- David Rudlin, Urbanism Environment and Design (URBED)
- Rebecca Tunstall, University of York
- Clare Wright, Wright & Wright Architects
- Sir Malcolm Grant, University of York (Chair)
12 noon - 1.30pm
Our speakers, including Alison Brooks, Principal and Creative Director of Alison Brooks Architects, Stephen Joseph, Executive Director of Campaign for Better Transport; Harbinder Birdi, Head of Infrastructure and Transport at Hawkins\Brown and transport planner Paul Osborne, help us re-imagine city living.
- Alison Brooks, Alison Brooks Architects
- Harbinder Birdi, Hawkins\Brown
- Efrat Blumenfeld-Lieberthal, Tel Aviv University
- Stephen Joseph, Campaign for Better Transport
- Paul Osborne, transport planner
4.30pm - 6.00pm
In the year that York was named ‘the best place to live in Britain’ in The Sunday Times, our Focus Day ends by re-imagining our own city of York. With a unique mix of heritage and hi-tech what is the plan to re-imagine this historic city? The session is introduced by Jon Timmis of the University of York.
- Bob Allies, Allies and Morrison
- Francis Glare, BDP
- Helen Graham, University of Leeds
- Timothy Ireland , Kent School of Architecture
- Andy Shrimpton, Cycle Heaven
- Jon Timmis, University of York