Try testing items to see which are more or less dense than water. Physicist James Lees explains how this allows us to work out how much sugar is in a drink.
What you will need:
- A container full of water
- A can of full sugar drink
- A can of diet drink
- A number of waterproof objects (try fruit and vegetables)
Health and Safety:
- Young children should be supervised around water to avoid the risk of drowning
- Electronic items, particularly those plugged into a wall socket, should be kept away from water
About the researcher
James Lees is a postgraduate researcher with the University of York’s Department of Physics.