• Date and time: Saturday 18 June 2022, 10am to 12pm
  • Location: In-person only
    St Oswald's Church, Fulford (Map)
  • Admission: £3 (payment at the door), booking required

Book tickets

Event details

Fulford Grange is situated between Fulford Road and the river Ouse, approx. 1 km south of the city walls. It was built in the late 18th century by a prosperous tea merchant, John Maud, who combined recently enclosed fields to create a 14-acre estate.

The house was enlarged in the 1830s by a Bradford banker, Benjamin Horner, who added a large Italianate east wing and portico. He also landscaped the grounds, creating walks, flower beds, orchards, glass houses, a carriage drive and gatehouse, and a cottage for the gardener.

The break-up of the estate began when Ambrose Walker, a butcher turned property developer, bought the house in 1868. Walker built houses boarding Fulford Road and New Walk Terrace, including Grange Street. He sold the mansion in 1876 to Isaac Poad, who built hundreds of terraced houses and The Priory in Fulford Road.

The final chapter in the story of Fulford Grange began when the remaining estate was bought by a builder, Robert Pulleyn and an electrician, Harold Mandefield. In the decade before the Second World War, they added small extensions and divided the mansion into three apartments. They also built Grange Garth on the remaining ornamental gardens.

Come along to experience the story of Fulford Grange in 6 chapters!

Attendees of this talk can also join a guided walk around the estate on 21 June, 6pm on Grange Street.

 

About the speaker

Christopher Rainger is a retired canal engineer and recent chair of Fishergate, Fulford and Heslington Local History Society. Chris has lived in the Grange Estate for 27 years and has always been fascinated by the variety of its houses and the history of the mansion.

The Fishergate, Fulford and Heslington Local History Society (FFH)

Fishergate, Fulford and Heslington Local History Society has monthly talks and walks on a wide range of topics, including Anglian Fishergate, Fulford Shops, Heslington Village, local nurserymen, army, glassworks, Henry VIII and the Rialto Cinema. The society has published booklets on St Oswald’s old church, men named on local WW1 memorials, and notable families and their houses. The website also covers a huge range of topics.

Find out more about Fishergate, Fulford and Heslington Local History Society

Partners

Fishergate, Fulford and Heslington Local History Society logo

Venue details

  • Wheelchair accessible