You're viewing an archived page from a previous Festival of Ideas. See this year's festival »
We are delighted to work with the Joseph Rowntree Foundation to present a stimulating day of talks exploring the interface between political and economic decision-making and its impact on social mobility and financial security for all. Speakers include Guardian columnist Owen Jones, leading economist John Kay, Sir Julian Legrand of the London School of Economics, and Lynsey Hanley, author of Respectable.
The Hub café will be open all day serving hot and cold snacks and drinks.
10.00am - 11.30am
Guardian columnist Owen Jones will deliver a keynote address, before joining a panel discussion exploring the changing political economic landscape.
- Vicky Pryce, Centre for Economics and Business Research and GoodCorporation
- Gulcin Ozkan, Department of Economics and Related Studies, University of York
- Claire Ainsley, Joseph Rowntree Foundation
- Martin Smith, Department of Politics, University of York (Chair)
2.10pm - 3.50pm
We examine the key factors required to promote financial security for children and their parents. Sir Julian Le Grand of the London School of Economics will deliver a keynote speech, which will be followed by a debate. Speakers include:
- Zoe Williams, Guardian columnist
- Sharon Collard, Open University Business School
- Sonya Krutikova, Institute for Fiscal Studies
- Jonathan Derbyshire, Financial Times (Chair)
6.00pm - 7.30pm
Is the British class system dead or just morphing into something more complex? Who are the new winners and losers? Our speakers include:
- Lynsey Hanley, author of Respectable
- Paul Wakeling, Great British Class Survey
- Rosemary Bennett, Social Affairs Correspondent, The Times (Chair)
12 noon - 1.10pm
Join our expert speakers as they explore the culture of investment banks. Has there been enough reform to avoid another global financial crash?
- John Kay, author of Other People’s Money
- Joris Luyendijk, author of Swimming with Sharks: My Journey into the World of Bankers
- Vicky Pryce, Centre for Economics and Business Research and GoodCorporation (Chair)
4.30pm - 5.30pm
Experts discuss what is needed to thrive in a new economy and to grow businesses. Speakers include:
- Stephen Evans, Learning and Work Institute
- John Thackara, author of How to Thrive in the Next Economy: Designing Tomorrow’s World
- Zoe Williams, Guardian columnist (Chair)